Porcupine Press is a small independent publisher based in Johannesburg. It was established in November 2009 in response to the growing demand from writers of all genres wanting to see their work published. Originally established in the late 1990s by photographer Paul Weinberg and others, Porcupine Press is now wholly owned by Gail and David Robbins’ company DGR Writing & Research cc.
- David Robbins (Editorial Advisor), has been publishing his distinctive and widely read books with commercial publishers from 1985 until 2009. He brings the experience gained, and several exciting new titles, to the Porcupine adventure. He has published 21 books and has won many awards for his writing. In 2010 he was honoured with a SALA Lifetime Achievement literary award.
- Gail Robbins (Production Manager), began in print production in the early 1990s. She has worked with high-end service providers (editors, designers, printers) to build an international reputation for quality production work at reasonable prices. She has extensive experience and knowledge of various types of project management.
We are the leaders in Self Publishing with a heart for literature and authors. Our focus on quality is changing the face of the South African self publishing industry, one book at a time.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
To support authors in the production and distribution of high quality books, thereby counteracting the criticism of sub-standard products frequently aimed at self publishing endeavours
◦ To support the development of South African writers
◦ To provide professional services and quality craftsmanship to facilitate the dissemination of work by local writers
◦ To assist in improving the image and quality of self-publishing in South Africa
◦ To explore both old and new trends in the publishing and distribution environment in South Africa
- Professionalism: If we can’t do it excellently, we won’t take it on.
- Competency: We have proven abilities in writing, mentoring and editing, book design and production, marketing and distribution.
- Integrity: We don’t publish books that need more work. We’ll offer guidance before we ask for money.
- Accountability: We keep in touch with our authors and clients all the way through. They’re our partners; their books are joint ventures.
- Transparency: We don’t sell publishing packages. Our prices are modular: clients only pay for what they need.